Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Last Friday I dropped by Herb’s house. I meet with Herb every few weeks just to keep in touch, seek his perspective and look for advice. I first met Herb when I was fourteen. He was a neurologist, stern, intimidating, almost frightening…and the father of my girlfriend. Thirty-six years later I met Herb again and struggled at first not to revert to being 14. This time around, however, our relationship was about work, not puppy love. Herb is an Honorary Board Member of the Stern Center, and I had just been hired to what eventually became the role of Development Director. Herb’s passion for the Stern Center is focused on his dedication to our Scholarship Program. Last Friday I stopped by to bring him a DVD of our most recent fundraising event, the Gene Richards Roast. Herb has delighted and then launched into detailed questions about how much we raised, which accounts would receive the money, and what our plans are for making continued progress on our goals for the year. He’d been reading the Wall Street Journal and New York Times both of which continue to offer daunting diagnoses for the economy; serious challenges to Herb’s mission of raising funds for our scholarships.

Herb’s own diagnosis is even more serious. He is 87 years old and battling cancer, but neither of those factors has diminished his spirit for the Stern Center. I visit Herb hoping to offer him an ongoing link for that spirit, and I leave feeling inspired, confident that despite any recent disappointments we’ll figure this out and the Scholarship Program will thrive. Thirty-six years ago I didn’t even make eye contact with Herb; today, every few weeks I listen intently, heed his advice, and share a laugh. Thanks, Herb.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ed. I love the updates about your visits with Herb. He does have a formidable presence. I met him as an adult and still have difficulty calling him anything but
    "Dr. Martin"!

    ReplyDelete