Monday, July 19, 2010
Epiphany might be the word, but it somehow lacks the full bodied joy I felt last weekend. Four straight days of family, friends, fun, food, festivities all around Lindsay and Joe’s wedding. For nearly forty years I’ve cultivated an approach to life that had left me largely an observer, often an enthusiastic one, but never an immersed participant. I’d installed lots of windows allowing me to see others and for others to see guardedly released glimpses of me, but I kept the windows shut. Until this past weekend. Lindsay and Joe’s unbridled joy, exuberance, affection, and love did more than open those windows, it smashed the glass. Father-of-the-bride was so much more than underestimating the cost of the gown, or helping choose the band, or lettering the place cards, or trying not to cry walking down the aisle, or crying while dancing with the bride. This father-of-the-bride finally jumped in and splashed around in the wonder of people sharing great joy. Going forward, I will continue to be a keen observer, but now I won’t just watch others having fun, I’ll join it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Daddy,
ReplyDeleteYou have no idea how much it means to me to hear that you are going to just jump in and enjoy everything life has to offer and not just watch it! Having you walk me down the aisle meant so much to me...more than you will ever know. Dancing to Butterfly Kisses with my Daddy also meant more than anyone will ever know! I have looked up to you and have loved the knowledge, love and support you have given me thus far and look forward to watching you and joining you in all the excitement this new family has to offer to us all! I Love you!