Thursday, September 9, 2010

When I was a kid, fishing on Lake Champlain with my grandfather in his 15 foot, closed hull, outboard we paid serious attention to the weather forecast, especially the wind speeds. All afternoon each Friday I listened to my pocket transistor radio for the weather. “Small craft warnings” and “waves over a foot” smashed my fishing plans for Saturday. So imagine my adjustment when last weekend Jill and I were invited sailing because there would be “really good wind, with waves 1-2 feet!” Neither of us has been sailing more than twice and never on a 32 foot craft or with 2 foot waves, but we decided, “Why not?” and had a great time. I handled the wheel and learned a bit about tack and jib. The real sailors, our hosts, noticed I was clenching most of my muscles and advised that I relax, which I found easier said than done. Eventually I unclenched but never became “one with the boat!” (The photos prove the angle of the boat with the horizon in the background.)

I guess the point here is that we didn’t say, “No thank you,” but rather went for it despite our trepidation, and it proved really cool. Last year it was a hot air balloon ride one mile high. This summer was sailing when my grandfather would have headed for shore. I’m finding that often saying, “Yes” is more fun than, “No.”

No comments:

Post a Comment