Toys of Summer
Yes, I know, the book title was Boys of Summer, but in that book it became apparent that men remain boys and that interest in toys does not diminish as the years accumulate. So the pun is relevant, as last Sunday I stored my MGB for the season. There were dozens of people, mostly ‘boys’ gently, lovingly packing away their cars, boats, and campers for the winter. As we disconnected battery terminals, draped dust covers, and taped ID numbers we seemed deep in our private thoughts despite the busyness in the huge storage barn. This had been the best summer in the 11 years I’ve enjoyed the MG, so the memories of great road trips are more abundant than usual. I always stretch the driving into foliage season, and hanging up the keys back at home until late next April is a bit like hibernating. So many things are seasonal. We might think we’re above those powers with our 21st century technologies and science, but when it comes down to it, the days do get colder and shorter, and we put away our toys of summer.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment