Monday, June 20, 2011

I recently attended an event which featured David Lawrence of Miami, FL. Mr. Lawrence is the visionary and guiding force behind the successful Children’s Movement of Florida working toward ensuring that children are at the heart of all policy and budget decisions in their state. During his presentation he described how he evolved from a highly successful career in newspaper publishing to, as he described, a late in life epiphany about how vital it is to society that we care for our youngest. The purpose of the Movement is “to educate political, business and civic leaders -- and all parents of the state -- about the urgent need to substantially improve the way we care for our children.” His is a compellingly simple, clear, emotional invitation to put children first. I was taken back in time to more than 30 years ago when I had accepted my first principalship and was eagerly preparing for my new role. Full of enthusiasm unfettered by the rigors of politics or policy, I recall the most powerful advice I was given at the time: “Ed, no matter what, always keep the kids first.” It seemed too basic, too broad, too bumper stickery at the time, especially on a scale of dreams of making a huge difference. I eventually discovered, however, that making a huge difference really did mean always keeping the kids first. That veteran administrator so many years ago and David Lawrence last week both had the right idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment