Thursday, March 25, 2010

In her book, The Measure of Our Success, Marian Wright Edelman’s Lesson 13 is Be confident that you can make a difference. I happened to see a notice in Sunday’s paper that a former Stern Center student had been named to the Dean’s List at his college. When I last saw him he was completing high school having risen from a very low point of academic failure and crushing self-esteem as a freshman to being on the cusp of a challenging academic and athletic career at a competitive college. In between he’d been a student here at the Stern Center. According to him and his parents, one year of specialized instruction reinvented his life and reopened previously closed possibilities. I emailed congratulations on the Dean’s Listing, and this afternoon he and his father stopped by to thank us for helping make all the difference. Still learning….

No comments:

Post a Comment