Thursday, March 4, 2010
She was right in front of me, slightly to the left actually, so I had a clear view of how engrossed she was in her book. We were in a crowded, busy location with lots of people-watching opportunities. I'd been reading in spurts, frequently glancing up as the passersby gained numbers or dynamics, but this girl remained completely transfixed by her book, riveted to the page, her expressions changing occasionally from frown to delighted smile punctuated by gentle laughter. It was as if she was in a world of her own created by the book. Eventually, she released her grip on the pages only when her mother gathered her up to snuggle on her shoulder and cooed her to sleep. Not yet two years old, and already drawn to reading! I've often been struck by the power of books and reading in my own life and in the lives of others. That has never been more evident to me than in the stories I continue to hear from learners and their families here at the Stern Center.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment