Monday, June 7, 2010

About an hour into the Allen Toussaint concert last Friday night I realized I was smiling and that I had been since it began. Thirty minutes later, still smiling! Not odd, perhaps except that I inherited a generally stern resting countenance from my father, whose seeming ‘scowl’ intimidated more than a few childhood friends. Anyway, the point here is the power of music and the joyful, visceral impact it can have. Friday night it was foot tapping, head bobbing, body throbbing jazz, but another night it will be a Mozart concerto, an Eric Clapton guitar fling, a Japanese flute pastoral, or a Celtic harp. Music makes us smile, sometimes despite ourselves!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to have found your blog, specifically, your musings. Your quiet reflections reveal a character grounded in an honesty which can't help but breed, dare I say, "wisdom". Rather refreshing !

    ReplyDelete