Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Last week we had a run of automotive bad luck. First, on one of those rare-to-Vermont perfect early summer days I drove the MG to work. Azure skies, brilliant but not sweltering sun, no rain in the forecast. It was a spectacular early morning drive. Ninety minutes later I went out to leave for a meeting downtown, turned they key, and to no surprise of MG drivers, absolutely nothing happened. No fuel pump engagement, no key buzz, no lights, no click. Nothing. Several creative attempts involving coworkers failed even to pop the clutch and bypass ignition. More on this later, but the next day I had to use my real car, only to discover an eighteen inch crack across the mid-sightline of the windshield. Two days after that Jill’s car had a flat tire; fortunately I discovered this in our garage. By that point our luck changed, primarily because we’d run out of cars!

So, the MG saga. Towing the car back to our home: $105. After reaching my mechanic and getting an appointment, towing it to him: $175. His time to make magic on the infamous Lucas Electronics, $125. Parts needed to build a better mousetrap: $10.
Driving the MGB again instead of paying for therapy: priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment