Monday, January 9, 2012
When is the last time you moved into a new house, condo or apartment? Even if it was years ago, I bet that question caused some involuntary reflex about the stresses, challenges, and ultimate pleasures that the process brought you. It’s not for nothing that psychologists include moving to a new home on lists of most stressful events. We at the Stern Center have just completed a move to a new building, consolidating from two into one which will save us in operating expenses and bring all local programs and services under one roof. Six years ago Jill and I moved to a new home after 30 years in the first one, so I’m familiar with the dynamics of planning, implementing, celebrating, and boxes, boxes, boxes. This move for the Stern Center was similar in all dimensions. Thanks to excellent leadership for the move, we had a great system of communication, packing, mapping, labeling, and working together to make it all successful. After one full week in our new home, we’re fully engaged, working on small adjustments such as “which way to turn once I step out of my office to visit colleague X?”, or “which still unpacked box contains that set of reports from the archives?” or “where did I put my new scan-card key?” We still have boxes, and I’m still not able to get from room A to room X every time without a sidetrack, but we’re here, and it’s fabulous! The Stern Center for Language and Learning, 183 Talcott Road, Suite 101, Williston, Vermont.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment